Tuesday, June 02, 2009

Buttermilk Chicken


This was my kids lunch today..haha..Just Chicken ...lazy Mama.. I marinated the chicken yesterday night and fried it this afternoon..Can right? Imagine we go KFC and ate this enough what...so 16 pieces for 4 of us (including me)...got the recipe from Noreen UK, the other day bought buttermilk... thought of baking a cake, it has been in the fridge for quite sometime..expiry date today, blog hopping yesterday and saw this in her blog..so quickly got the recipe printed out and went back to work...verdict ..can I say almost like the 'original flavour' of the KFC chicken? Thank you Noreen.

Ingredients:-
1.5kg chicken ( I used the large chicken cut 16)
2 cups buttermilk
1 tbsp mustard paste( I don't have this so i used mustard seeds)
1 tsp salt(I used 2 tsp)
1 tsp mustard powder( I don't have this either so I used mustard seeds)
1 tsp cayenne pepper( I used 2 tbsp)
1 tsp coarse black pepper (I used 1 tbsp)
1 tsp of minced ginger(optional -I added this myself )

2 cups plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tbsp garlic powder( I used minced garlic but I put in the buttermilk mixture)
1/2 tsp salt(I used 1 tsp)
oil for frying

Method:-
Mix buttermilk, mustard paste, mustard powder, salt, cayenne, minced garlics and black pepper into chicken , cover and put aside.
Leave in the fridge for at least 2 hours or overnight. Heat oven at 180 degrees Celsius.
Mix the flour, baking powder, garlic powder and salt in a tray. Roll chicken over the flour and leave it for 10 minutes.Deep fry the chicken on a medium heat and fry till golden brown. Dish out and place the chicken in the baking tray. Put in oven so that the chicken will be warm all the time. Nice to eat when its hot.

Sources:-From 'My Home Cooking Blog'- Noreen

No comments: