Thursday, July 30, 2009

Mee Hailam



This recipe has been in my keeping for quite sometimes now..only today then I tried this for the first time....according to Mat, this is an oriental dish but with a Malay taste..maybe because of the cili padi and the bean curd in it...

Actually I have not tried the original Mee hailam, cause I ever made myself my version of Mee hailam, but that was also not the real version as I made that according to what was available in my fridge and to my taste....anyway, sorry guys the mee sudah ILEK!! (finished)...hehe

Ingredients:-
500g yellow noodles
300g medium size prawns
1 piece chicken breast
1 green and red pepper diced(I didn't put)- I added carrots
6 oyster mushrooms sliced(I didn't put)
4 cabbage leaves sliced
2 tomatoes cut to wedges
1 cup bean sprout(optional)- I put this
2 hard bean curd sliced and fried(I didn't put this)
slices of celery, spring onions and birds eye chillies
fried shallots for garnishing
3 garlics crushed
3 tbsp oyster sauce*
2 tbsp black pepper sauce*
1 tbsp abalone sauce*-I didn't put
1/2 tsp sesame oil* (mix* all the sauce ingredients in a bowl)
1 tsp black soy sauce
1 tsp corn flour, mix with a bit of water
salt and sugar to taste

Method:-
Wash prawns and separate the head and tail.Marinate cleaned prawns with 1 tsp salt for 5 minutes, wash again and drained. Sliced chicken breast thinly, washed and drained.
Heat some oil in wok, fry the prawns head and tail till golden yellow. Dish out and minced till fine. Boil 1 liter of water in saucepan and add in prawn paste and let it simmer for 20 minutes. Strained the prawns stock.
In a wok, heat oil and stir fry garlics till fragrant.Add in prawns, chicken and stir for 2 minutes. Add in the sauce mixture and the prawn stock. Let it boil.
Add in vegetables and let it for 5 minutes. Add in more water according to preferences.
Add in corn flour mixture and black soy sauce. Stir well. Add in yellow noodles and bean sprout. Stir well. Add salt and sugar to taste. Serve hot with garnishing of celery, fried shallots, spring onions and birds eye chillies.
Sources:-Mat Gebu myr.com

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Kalo dpt mee kaya lauk camni kat kedai alangkah nikmatnye.hehehe