AlongRoz 's blog ...quite a unique thingy I thought, but still no 'seru' to try it, cause of the boiling duration & I dont have a pressure cooker at that time,...then a few bloggers tried it too like Hana & a few whom I cant remember, and still DDL was put into my wish list-to-do ... lately saw this in Love2cook and this time I already have a pressure cooker.Decided to go ahead for the talked about Dulce De Leche.....
In Along's posting she mentioned about the link in Wendy's blog, I went up to browse and read what Wendy has posted, researched and comments on this Dulce De Leche. One thing for sure those condensed milk that I have in store was not suitable for DDL!!.Those were not condensed milk but actually sweetener!!..Oh my..baru saya tau!!..haha..
Searched the supermarket that I usually buy my groceries, and I could only find these below..not the type like Wendy used the 'Full Cream Sweetened Condense Milk', but the 'Low Fat Sweetened Condensed Milk'..I just grabbed 4 of those(already costly leh..S$1.80 each) and put all to boil in my pressure cooker for 1 hour, infact 40-45 minutes is good enough according to Wendy, but I just wanted my DDL to be darker in colour that was why I boiled it longer..
After opening up the can, what I can say it is very yummy...and cant wait to try a few of the recipes using DDL!!..
Thank you guys for promoting this DDL..I am beginning to love it.
Not forgetting, thank you very much to Wendy for sharing all the resources & researched you linked below,
dont mind I posted the link here too for future reference and for those who are interested to do this DDL..
So, how to make it? Few methods Wendy.. listed them below.
Milk , sugar, baking soda and maybe some flavourings like vanilla or cinnamon.
1. Traditional simmering
2. Slow Cooker
Opened can of condensed milk:
1. Bake in oven: http://www.davidlebovitz.com/archives/2005/11/dulce_de_lechec.html
2. Microwaving : http://southamericanfood.about.com/b/2010/01/31/microwave-dulce-de-leche.htm
3. Double Boiler: http://southamericanfood.about.com/b/2009/01/16/easier-dulce-de-leche.htm
Unopened can of condensed milk.
-I don’t see how dangerous this as, as canning is also done with unopened jars/cans in heated in boiling water for an amount of time. Just don’t leave the pot dry and the heat on. Read: http://www.mykitchensnippets.com/2008/05/dulce-de-leceh-cheesecake.html
1. Simmering a can of sweetened condensed milk for 2-3 hours http://notwithoutsalt.com/2009/09/12/dulce-de-leche/
2. Pressure Cooker : cook a can of unopened sweetened condensed milk for 30-40 minutes, everywhere on the internet.
3. Simmering in slow cooker/crockpot: http://www.mangiodasola.com/2010/01/crockpot-dulce-de-leche.html
I tried out method (C)2.Boiled them in pressure cooker. for 1hr.