Monday, April 06, 2009

Orange Chocolate Chips Muffin


I quickly made this on Saturday morning as thought of bringing 'buah tangan' to my brother's house for his baby's 'cukur rambut' and his going to mecca for the 'minor pilgrimage' or 'umrah' kenduri.
I 've got 2 hours to scramble with this before I can packed the other stuff that I was suppose to bring and head up to Kulai, where my brother's staying. I doubled the amount here (2 adunan) to make the muffins with the above muffin cups sizes. Managed to get only 64 of those...(in my mind, 'jadilah..just bring for tambah2 kuih on the table..'

The 'marhaban' and prayers for 'doa selamat' was performed by a group of ladies or so called housewives lead by an ustazah who headed the group. The unique thing about this group was that the ladies would bring their kids or babies while reciting the doas...very seldom or rather rare here in Singapore...which normally done by men and if its women, they would not bring their kids or even babies ...well I assumed, 'lain padang lain belalang'..(is that correct?)...meaning different culture at different place...

Anyway back to my muffins, after the doas have been recited, the group was told to help themselves with the servings..what I didint expect was my muffins went out first...!!!hehehe..I was excited to see that...of course didnt show it lah...but when those earlier muffins that have been laid on the table was 'cleaned' the next round of muffins was 'grabbed' within seconds...ooohhh...I am so proud of myself...(of course nobody knows how I felt at that time...)
I was a bit blushed when one of my sis-in-law's sister asked who made those muffins and my mum answered it was me...who later teasingly said....'wah like that can orderlah'......hehhehe...

Ingredients:-
240g butter
2 cups castor sugar
4 eggs grade A
1/4 cup grated orange zest(4 large oranges)
3 cups plain flour + 2 tbsps
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1/4 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
3/4 cup buttermilk (3/4 cups milk + 3/4 tbsp lemon juice)
1 tsp vanilla essence
2 cups good semi sweet chocolate chips


Method:-
  • Preheat the oven to 175C degrees.
  • Cream the butter and sugar in the bowl of an electric bowl for 5 mins or until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, then the orange zest.
  • 3. Sift together 3 cups flour, the baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl. In another bowl, combine the orange juice, buttermilk and vanilla.Add the flour and buttermilk mixtures alternately in thirds to the creamed butter, beginning and ending with the flour. Toss the chocolate chips with 2 tbsps flour and add to the batter. Pour into the muffin cups(I filled half cup) and bake for 30 mins or till cook, until a cake tester comes out clean. Let the cake cool in the pan on wire rack for 10 mins.
Sources:From 'Rinn Chan fotopages'

No comments: